So the last task was the same: dependent select elements. I did it with jQuery and DOM bindings. So good unless maintaining and expanding are needed.
All February I tried to read the news and blogposts about JS. I've read some books and a few dosen blogposts.
Another useful source is - Angus Croll's blog. Although it's been abandoned for a while, old entries contain lots of useful information.
Besides reading books, I had to find out how to write tests for JS. De facto standard is Jasmine, but it's for browsers. For my task I needed a browser at the very last moment, so I decided to find out what can be done with node.js and how to run tests in the console. It turned out that the popular library for BDD testing in ruby world also exists for JS! It's mocha! Together with chai.js they make a wonderful couple which can be run as if you worked with rspec.